My Reasons to Be Thankful
- 28 November 2013
- Cindy Vova
- 0 Comments
As I sit here on the eve of Thanksgiving (and the first night of Chanukah), I began thinking of all the things, past and present, that I am thankful for. I know that holiday times often create a lot of stress and sometimes this stress (both real and imagined) wrecks havoc on what should be “the most wonderful time of the year,” especially for families in a state of transition.
So, I thought I would compile a list of some things that I pause to give thanks for. Hopefully, upon reading my list, you may begin to think of things in your life that equally give you cause to be thankful. (And just so you know, this is pretty stream of conscious, so the order is random)
● I am thankful for those of my fellow family law attorneys who approach cases as I do…and want to assist clients in achieving a fair result, and not dragging things out
● I am thankful for clients who take the time to thank me
● I am thankful for past clients who refer me to their friends and family when they are in need of a family law attorney. The only higher compliment I can receive is when….
● I represent a person, and thereafter, the opposing party refers me to a friend or family member for another case. There’s nothing nicer than hearing that the opposing party wished they’d hired me
● I am thankful for my paralegal, Maria, who is extremely professional, yet empathetic and caring as well…and who reminds me that, much as I try, I cannot always resolve the situations my clients have gotten themselves into (but I’ll still keep trying)
● I am thankful for clients who understand that I need a break once and a while, and respect my time with my family
● I am thankful for my husband of 22 years. He has endured many ups and downs over the years, and has always stood by me and supported me in my endeavors. And hands down, he IS the best dad (and the craziest). Don’t just take our children’s word for it…ask THEIR friends!
● I am thankful for my two daughters, a freshman and senior in college, who have always made their father and me proud, and who should, more importantly, be proud of their own achievements.
● I am thankful that I have always had understanding children, who knew that those long hours and work at home was part of a career I chose, and an obligation I had, and who (hopefully) will bring that work ethic to their respective future careers.
● I am thankful that, even deferring to the item above, I NEVER missed any school events, teacher meetings, dance performances, lacrosse games, and was always able to be there for my children.
● I am also thankful that I can usually function on less than six hours of sleep so I could be thankful for the two prior “thanks”
● I am thankful that I hate to shop so I never even contemplate joining the droves for Black Friday
● I am thankful for Helen, my best friend for the past forty years. Even though we’ve lived in different places for most of that time (and SHE keeps moving further), long distance (and texting) is then next best thing to being there.
● I am thankful that I have been able to indulge in my love of travel, and that I’ve been able to share it with my children. They definitely earned the “been there, done that” t-shirt, not the one about where their parents just brought them back the shirt (one caveat…now that they’re in college it’s OUR turn)
● I am thankful for the people at the Coral Springs Animal Hospital who saved our dog’s life back in 2007. That little dog has been such a joy in our family’s life!
● I am thankful that the contractor who was responsible for our dog escaping was not willing to accept my proposal to split the vet bill between us (I then sued him and got the whole thing!)
● I am thankful for the time I get to spend with the people I love.
● I am thankful I had two loving parents…a father who told me that I could do whatever I set my mind on to do, and a mother that reminded me that while I was pursuing my dreams to make sure my house was clean. I miss them both
● I am thankful that my best present is when I give to others….no material item can give me the same feeling
● I am thankful that you took the time to read this list. May it inspire you to be thankful too!